Monday, January 22, 2007

"While photographs may not lie, liars may photograph" is a quote I read recently (Lewis Hine... ever heard of him? ...I haven't). I am going to add my own bit: "...and fiddle with them in photoshop". I silhouetted this scene with my computer, just because I thought it looked better. If it were the stage of a shadow play, can you spot the actor?



Overture, light the lights... here he is ...and he's still black. On bleak looking days like this one in Kyoto, crows really take on an ominous quality. They are big and seem eyeless. I encountered a gang of them (well, a murder to be correct) in the field near my house recently. They made way for me, but they looked so scary... I half expected to see that they were eating a large dead thing, but no. Any Alfred Hitchcock fans about?
Northwest of Kyoto city is a place called Arashiyama. I made a bee line for it to see the autumn colours. I remember writing excitedly about it the night before as I planned my intinerary. Of course, on top of blogging, I stayed up too late and then changed my itinerary on the way there anyway. That, combined with the rain (which I rather optimistically thought would be stopping for me for just the hours I needed ...wrong!) landed me in this beautiful place feeling foul!

The scenery had a soothing effect, yet I was still this petulant child snapping away amazing sights whilst grumbling under my breath about everything. Just a bad Ian day, I guess. (Spot the monk).


You don't see these guys much - occasionally around train stations and I suppose on the odd bridge!


Even if the rain had held off, I hadn't counted on things being shrouded in mist. It was a bit of a tease, as you could tell the trees were really vibrant and varied in colour, yet there was this veil in front of them. My disappointment turned to appreciation as it makes for a different kind of view... but I was still a bit grumpy.


"Damn it, I'm so grumpy. It's the weekend. I'm in Kyoto, doing what I love doing, taking pictures. Look at these fantastic trees. Grrr..."


I'm being a little unfair on myself. But I did become a seething ball of rage when I tried to get a ticket for the "Romantic Railway" - an old diesel that takes a scenic route along a river valley.


The queue wasn't moving as the lady at the window had a lovely time chatting to people as the train came and went. The wait til the next one was 30 minutes. Noone else seemed perturbed. I couldn't understand it. I tried to read the signs around but couldn't. I walked off in a huff.

I changed my mind, went back and joined the queue again for a few minutes. It didn't move at all. That did it. I was having a Class-A "I don't get this country, how it works, what to say, I can't read anything... etc" day.


They pop up every now and then and you feel as if it's all very unfair that everything hasn't been designed with you in mind. Anyway... I walked off in a bigger huff ...and got lost.

I generally knew where I was, but I couldn't work out where the station I wanted was. I got some help and that made me feel better... until I realised it was about 45 minutes til the next train. haha. I then encoutered some rude overseas tourists and tried to be rude back. Not exactly in line with what I heard recently at church - Christians shouldn't be springs in society, bouncing back anger/insult etc., but rather shock absorbers, taking the shocks of society and softening the effect. My inadmissable defense is that I heard that after this day! haha (I think Jesus kind of said stuff along those lines tho!). Where was I? Oh, "Grrr..."


Anyway, I'm sure you're sick of my whinging, but I hope you're not too sick of autumn trees yet! There are more to come I'm afraid. This post is of places up until I got on the train I just mentioned.


This is just before I got lost, moving into a residential area.


There are some pretty swish abodes in Arashiyama - with some classic luxury and sports cars parked outside one for good measure.


It took me awhile to realise I was down someone's driveway here.


Another driveway shot.


Looking up a street.

A garden (back near the river).


Still in the garden.


A bamboo mill.


I'm not going to bother trying to retrace which little shrine this is. Kyoto has about a squillion (last count). I will, however, next be putting up pictures from 2 shrines and a temple: Enko-ji, Shisen-do (temple) and Tokufu-ji... the first 2 being from the same day as this trip. I think Tofuku-ji has the best pics, but I'm trying to be chronological. Just as I'm trying to do today before tomorrow... but alas I've failed, it's already here... gotta sleep.

Bye bye

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The koyo in Arashiyama is incredible! Although it looks like you get some excellent colors in your town too!

So, you got tickets for the dance?! Omedetou!(^0^)/ How did you get them so early? I thought you couldnt make reservations until a month before...Oshiete ne!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

Hey Melissa. Thanks a lot for checking out me humble blog. I would've got out the red carpet had I known. I think your next job should be with National Geographic.

Yeah, I was surprised about the ticket. Yes, ticket (singular)... I'm such a gumby, should have got 2... just wasn't sure who else I know would go. I'm going on 4/2. It'll be the day before I fly home.

I asked my Japanese colleague to ring up for me to ask when tickets would be available. She was given a reference number and was told I could go to a post office and pay for it there. We went to the post office and after paying they said a postcard would be sent to me which will act as a ticket. I got the postcard! Does the fact that I got in early mean I'll have a better seat (postcard is numbered)? Or does that depend on what time I arrive? Anyway, thanks for visiting!

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home