Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Today I'm writing from the home of my friends Tom, Jen and Ruby in Tsukuba, north of Tokyo. It's holiday time as the company closes for 8 days between December 27 and January 4. Christmas was pretty low-key - it's not a holiday here, but it fell on a Monday which is my usual day off. On Christmas Eve we had a service and party at church pretty similar to last year's, but we had a dramatised reading of the Christmas story with songs interspersed throughout which really helped it come to life and put the words of the songs into context. My manager Risa-san came along and really enjoyed it, so that was great.


Well, this is nowhere near Tsukuba - this is Wakasawan, which I was given the opportunity to see in November by my friend Namiko's friend Kosuke-san. He was really generous in driving us and their friend Przemek up to the Japan Sea coast, an expensive trip in terms of petrol and tolls (the latter alone totalling at least 60 bucks), and he refused any offers of payment, claiming the tolls are cheap! He isn't rich, just generous. It was my first time to see the Japan Sea - it lies to the north of Japan's main island, Honshu (where I live) - between it, Russia and the Korean peninsula.

It was raining, but picturesque, despite. Here Namiko is doing what one is supposed to do from the mountain top - turn yourself upside down and take a look. And what do you see?...


Okay, not quite.

Not surprisingly you see something like this. One is supposed to see a ladder/stairway to heaven... maybe I'm a bit dull but I don't get it. Maybe the monkey does.

(Disclaimer: I lifted the monkey pic off the net ages ago and wouldn't have a clue where it came from, so I'm going to claim ignorance when it comes to copyright ...but there - at least I admit that it's not mine!)


If the Spamurai can take you to other dimensions and turn you upside down... it should be a snack to take you back in time. This is how we got up the mountain - as modelled by Przemek. He is the first native Pole I've ever met... maybe the first Pole I've met fullstop. He's from Gdansk - home of the largest brick Gothic cathedral in the world, where he attends mass and was married.


Funny sign.


A break in the rain meant time for photos.


Peace. Word to your mother.


This is now down on the beach near the start of the isthmus. (Never thought I'd be dropping that word into a sentence).


There were some very funky looking craft about.


How's the serenity?


More funky boats.


Okay, now I'm really just writing a caption for continuity.

I don't have a clue what these fruits are, but they're like little characters.


We went for some lunch in a place with a really nice view.

Chirashizushi and a simple soup. This type of sushi is made up of a bed of rice topped loosely with egg, sashimi (raw fish) and ikura (fish eggs). Delicious.


Great company! Don't you think Przemek looks a bit like Viggo Mortensen (Lord of the Rings)?


We popped into a fish market. There were all sorts of sealife for sale, but these squid really stood out! They were about 50 bucks each. Check out the eyes!


Is this guy wanting you to approach him for a drink or just proud?


The crabs here are massive. They look so tasty, even in their shells - how does that work!? I've wondered that about Coke. When you see a vending machine and it looks like a giant red and white can, how does that make you want to drink black, bubbling liquid? My theory is that the pictures of the cans are always covered in drops of water and you buy the Coke subconsciously associating it with the water, not the Coke, because we all know that water quenches thirst far more effectively than Coke does. Perhaps this paragraph is strong evidence for the need to regulate blogs... sorry.


Okay, I think it's the colour. If you could eat the shell, I would.


Some more creatures on offer.


I'd love to see Rex Hunt try and kiss one of these suckers (or should I say biters) when still alive. Yikes.

Well, It's New Year's Eve and the end of 2006. What a blur! Last NYE I was asleep in Gifu city nursing a bad case of the runs (yes, you needed to know) with a whole range of experiences in between then and now. It's been a great year. I hope 2007 is a year of great things for you.

akemashite omedetou!

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

あけましておめでとう!Happy new year (^-^)/ Looks like your off to a good start. I went to Amanohashidate once...A teacher asked a friend and I to go along for the trip to see a famous place in Japan. Actaully, it was much more about eating that crab you said looked so delicious. We spent 5 hours driving there and back, atleast an hour eating, and 20 minutes looking at the land bridge through a blizzard of snow and fog. Good times.

So you got your tickets? EXCELLENT! If I may ask, HOW did you get them so early? Onegai?! (^_<)

9:16 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

明けましておめでとう!Happy new year! Looks like you`re off to a good start. So you got your tickets? EXCELLENT! how did you get them so early?!

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! You got tickets for the dance? Hayai! What kind of hook up you got over there, eh? (^-^) You`re geisha friends from the onsen? hehehe...

I didnt know you could get tickets so early! How? Oshiete ne! (^_<)

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home