Sunday, November 20, 2005

I should have known... I saw that Subaru ad with Bruce Willis again... "I feel liberty" makes too much sense. It's "I feel legacy". I never knew Bruce spoke such bad English. Whilst just about everywhere else in the world Coke had a slogan of "Always Coca-cola", apparently Coke had a very successful campaign a few years ago in Japan that stated "I feel Coke". It appeals to people here as they are emotive words and fit nicely into the forms that are learnt in the compulsory English program that everyone did at high school... "I like... I am... I feel..." etc. (Sound familiar, Sasha!? I like toilet!). I wish I could claim to be clever but I read the above observation in a book. Just thought I should 'fess up in case the plagiarism police are on patrol (not that they'd bother with Last Spamurai!)... anyway, it's in the Japan edition of the Traveller's Tales series. I highly recommend it! (Hokkaido Highway Blues by Will Ferguson is my favourite - it's fantastic! Hilarious! Read it!)

Where was I? Oh yes, there are some very funny slogans to be read here, as we all know... or sometimes it's not so much the wording, but the placement. One of my favourites was a very sombre grey print on black - Keep your spirits! DESTINY. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy ...on a black baby suit! A bag holding a purchase I made had this to say: Selection. Let's Enjoy Your Life. I find this a little off-putting. Our Lives would be so much more comforting... although it is refreshingly honest... not too far from Let's Have Your Money.

Anyway, I'll post some sights from around my local area... the colours are changing as the air grows ever-colder. I'm freezing my little toosh off already and I know that the mercury is going to keep shrinking and shrinking for the next month or two. Anyway, enjoy the Australian summer back home, won't you... (you stinkers)?

Oh... my sincere apologies to all who've written and posted comments - I have a huge backlog of emails to reply to. I'm not making myself out to be popular, but I do have some awfully nice friends... sorry I'm not so good a friend to you. I've been spending too much time on the blog - it's a little addictive.

Oh! And a very happy wedding day to my friends Lisa and Kev if any of the clan are reading this. Kekkonshiki Omedetto!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home