Tuesday, March 20, 2007

This is the last Spamurai post from what's been my home-away-from-home in Japan. Yes, I'm moving out tomorrow morning. I've been too busy to know how to feel, but I'm sure that will follow. Today, amid all the hectic goings-on of preparing to leave, I played golf! Kazuya-san from next door and his elderly friend Habuchi-san made excellent company. We drove for about an hour to get there - a beautiful, straight-forward course in the mountains of Sasayama. I had a great time, although my playing was atrocious. Habuchi-san took honours. He has one of the toughest looking faces I've ever seen -cheekbones that you could carve something with, but by the back nine we were making silly gestures and noises to each other! I was relieved we were able to act like kids - I turned up in very casual attire as per laid-back Aussie golfing (but I did have a collar), whereas the other two were wearing trousers and sportscoats and had a change of clothes to play in! Freak. But it was fine. We virtually had the course to ourselves - staff outnumbering patrons by about 3:1! The service and facilities were incredible. Automatic golf cars that drive themselves, conveyor belts to take you up to the clubhouse, a huge locker room to change in and an adjoining o furo, or Japanese bath, to soak in when you're done cursing a small white piece of plastic all around a fancy park for half a day. It was great - the bath was the best I've ever had.j.. And it was an exceedingly generous gift - the other two shouted me despite my best efforts to decline.
Anyway, gotta stop yabbering - I'm going to be up all night cleaning as it is. My trip to Kyushu is happening pretty much as advertised a couple of posts ago - minus the limestone caves of Yamaguchi. So, catch you next time in/from Australia most likely!
ja ne

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Hey Ian! Hisashiburi! When were planning to go to Miyako Odori? I called the ticket peeps today and the woman explained that this year they are assigning seats in a lottery. Did you get "Ochaseki" (tea ceremony included) tickets?

My brother and I will be in Kyoto practically all spring break...Maybe we'll run in to each other (^-^)

Good luck with the moving, and enjoy the rest of your time in Japan-land! Don't forget to take tons of pictures (^_<)

9:10 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

Hi Melissa!

Thanks so much for keeping up with my goings-on! I`m going to Odori on April 2nd. Yeah, I`ve got a ticket for tea as well. If you`re goin on the 2nd too, let`s have say hello!

Ian

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home