Wednesday, February 28, 2007


A solitary figure paces back and forth across the vast forum of the Tokyo Government Metropolitan Offices. He seemed to be engrossed in a phone call - perhaps doing deals, surrounded by sleeping giants of business and bureaucracy.


One of the government towers. I have to say I love this building. It's a modern classic - can I say that? Mabes or June, please correct me - I don't know the architectural lingo. You can't tell from this angle, but there are 2 towers. Seeing buildings like this make me want to see New York. Ahhh... the Chrysler Building!


Our telephone-drifter continues wearing a groove into the pavers.

This space is a design-marvel. The reflected light from each building, whether or not by design, makes for really cool highlights and shadows.

Well, in my usual fashion I had completely stuffed up and had tried to get into the towers on their day off - a public holiday. (Be warned, traveller: often things here are closed on Mondays, too). But thankfully, the neighbours were more obliging. This is the atrium of the NS building, from where I took the following shots...

It's weird seeing skyscrapers in Japan. There just aren't many around, due to the high cost, I would guess - owing to the incredible engineering and devices needed to counter earthquakes. Kanto, or the eastern region of Japan which includes Tokyo, gets frequent tremors and the odd quake.

Here's a more telling view of the towers. They look so cool. So sentinel-like. Or perhaps mainframish. Kind of scary in that regard - like a giant computer running the affairs of people. Anyway, whatever the statement is, it makes it powerfully! haha... I'm just not smart enough to get it.

As it turned out this would be my next port of call, the Sumitomo Building.

This is a different view of the Metropolitan Offices space. I thought it was the perfect subject for me to try to rip off the technique of Japanese photographer, Naoki Honjo (http://www.taigallery.com/naokihonjo.html). He brilliantly makes real scenery look like a diorama of miniature dimensions, by taking them from high places and then playing with the depth of field (I guess you could say range of focus). Anyway, this shot and the one below are my poor Photoshop imitations.

Did I mention I love the design of this place?

On a completely different scale, this unadulterated photo looks like a giant has left his soft drink can in the street.
Anyway, next up: views of Tokyo and Mt. Fuji from the Sumitomo Building.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

Yes, I've been there! It's beautiful. But I'm kind of old-school... I like skyscrapers. Call me Lord Farquad! haha

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home