Tuesday, February 20, 2007

This could be a scene from a mountain retreat, somewhere in tucked-away Japan, were it not for the tell-tale frame holding up the powered train lines.

Look at the amazing carved calligraphy on this stone ah... thing!

Just how many Buddhas are there anyway?

Yep, we're in Tokyo, in Minami-Senju which I guess you'd call shitamachi Tokyo - the old side of town. This is one of the most densely populated places in the world... in the Tokyo Bay area, including Yokohama and Chiba, there are about 33 million people. Right next to the Buddhas is a graveyard. A train passes noisily overhead.



This was next to the station of the area I stayed in. It does the trick - cheap, basic lodgings in a pretty convenient location. But no, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. If you can handle walking past old homeless men sleeping, talking, eating wandering and occasionally urinating in the street then I guess you're up for it. But yeah, Ginza it ain't! (Note to prospective wife out there: I'd be willing to upgrade... a little. haha.)


A forgotten little scooter soaking up the morning sun.

There barely seems room for even some pedals, let alone an engine.

When in Tokyo , the Spamurai chooses to stay in a hotel where he can touch both sides of the room at once with his hands. But this isn't it! This is the view looking from it! haha.

Looking straight down I could see the little shrine below had a brand spanking roof of copper on it. I've stayed here twice before, so I knew it was new, apart from the obvious shinyness of it.

Sorry, I love shiny metal things.

Especially copper.

Wasn't quite so keen on this fella. A pair of angry looking dogs guard the way. I'd never quite seen ones like this before. They almost seem a bit Egyptian.


Finally, this is perhaps a big call, but I guarantee that the video below is the funniest thing you'll have seen in a loooonnnnggg time. What's it got to do with Japan I hear you ask? Nothing apart from the fact that I've been seeing it a lot in my local haunt, Dayz darts bar. Master or mashta as we call him loves to play 80's videos in a loop that lasts for about an hour (with the likes of the Buggles, Human League and INXS). So if you stay for the long haul you get treated to Journey's Separate Ways several times. I don't tire of it ever - unintentional comic genius! (Look for the bit where the singer's backing his way through the forklift palettes.) Please enjoy...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home