Friday, October 06, 2006

What was that I said before about massive insects!? This is the adorable Asuka, my neighbour and friend and her pet kabutomushi, or giant bug. She lives above the sushi shop that her family runs behind my place. We're in the kitchen - you can see mum in a blur behind her, taking some dishes into the restaurant. Asuka works too! She pours beer and chuhai like a pro and delivers it too, holding out a heavy bottomed schooner with one hand. Pretty good for a girl who turns 7 next week!


Children here love beetles. Summer brings out all sorts of creatures. It's now the beginning of Autumn, but some summer arrivals still linger - yesterday morning I was greeted by a large praying mantis sitting on my bike. It really disturbed me... I'm pretty sure the night before I'd had a nightmare involving giant insects! You can pick the season by looking at the front rack displays in 100 yen shops and some conbinis (convenience stores)... in summer there are fireworks, butterfly nets and cases for keeping your new insectoid friends. But Asuka's were actually bought from the pet shop. The one she went to only sells beetles! She has an amazing book which shows all the large beetles from around the world in actual size.


I see Sayaka and Asuka most Mondays. We study English and then they feed me dinner. 2 nights ago I watched their grandfather make it. He's amazingly fast! He made makizushi (the roll-type sushi, wrapped in seeweed) and nigirizushi (the type pressed together in your hand). He's also very deft with his huge sashimi knife - it's like a small sword! I looked along it and its edge is so keen I couldn't see it. They also gave me a soup which is made from the residue left from the sake-making process. It tastes vaguely of sake and is quite rich - a good winter soup.


Here's mum and grandpa too. That's the only way I know to refer to them! Well I guess I could call them Urakado-san, but I never have.


And here's dad - the much referred-to but hitherto never-seen Kazuya! These photos are looong overdue... this family is really important to me. This picture was taken just before I visited Australia, so I was in the same gaunt state! I hope you'll believe me when I say I've put some weight back on... I'm still a praying mantis, but a slightly fatter one. These guys are doing their best to fatten me up.


Kazuya is hilarious. But he's also far more than that. I've learned a lot from him, but he says he's a fool. He works seven days a week. He says he has a "chicken heart" but I've seen him go next door and break up a fight between some young guys who were drunk and then sit and talk with them. He takes brilliant photos of scenery (some in remote locations in Japan), but he says they aren't very good. He says the food they give me is "low-grade" but I always love what they serve me. He's a legend.


Also long overdue are these photos of the friends I made sitting in Kazuya's restaurant early on. They often eat here, so we've seen each other numerous times. From left to right from Kazuya are Yuko, Hiroshi, Yoko and Norihiro. Hiroshi is the one who drinks water through his nose. They all are in the dental trade... well, they don't sell teeth, they fix them.

This night we went to Yoko and Norihiro's for dinner. I haven't seen them for a while now. Yoko is expecting, so life has gotten busier for them! Yuko and Hiroshi once went in Japan's Cannonball Run... and won! They drove a Subaru WRX STi. Hiroshi loves cars... currently he has a Chevy Astro van and a Mitsubishi 4WD that looks just like an old Jeep Renegade.


Well, lastly 2 shots for the brag book. Me and the harem of pretty girls - the usual story, huh? If I was smart I wouldn't say anything about this and let some story or legend grow in your mind about my animal magnetism... haha. Another karaoke night - there were others present, but just thought this was a good promo shot. The lady on the far right is my manager.


This is about as much love as I'm really getting... a fake kiss from a monkey. Well, not even that... I'm kissing it. There's my animal magnetism: I'm attracted to monkeys. Sniff...


1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You teach them English and then they feed you? Sounds like a good deal ^_^

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home