Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Sakura! Spring has finally sprung. The cherry blossoms have come and gone and the weather is warm and often glorious. I knew I was temperamental, but now I also know that I'm particularly a weather person. My spirits lifted as Winter receded to make way for Spring. I guess the next challenge will be the rainy season - about a month of rain from mid-June to mid-July. There's been a day or two of heavy rain recently, which seemed to bring out a massive chorus of frogs near my place. Well, actually they've appeared because the rice farmers have flooded the paddies in preparation for planting. The blossoms above were right near my place... the blurred path in the background is where a frog encounter cost me my umbrella. I stopped and turned back to look at an amphibious friend one night as I realised I was stepping over him and in doing so let a freak gust of wind catch under my umbrella. It was ripped inside out and twisted into something like what I was making at art college, leaving me looking at this frog in the rain, no longer filled with wonder, but with seething rage. A case of curiosity killed the kasa. I felt like God was making sport of me as the previous night I rode home in the rain on my bike and it had stopped just as I reached home. But then I figured out that I was either thinking too highly of myself or too lowly (I'm sure there are other bigger reasons for the weather!) - it made me reflect on how great the weather has been and what great places I've been able to see amongst it...

Back to Kyoto! But this time on holidays with my parents. I love this shopfront on the approach to Kiyomizu-dera - that temple you've seen in my photos before - the one you're about to see again!


Looking back down the hill from near the temple.


We were in for a nice surprise as there was a spring matsuri, or festival. A group played taiko drums on the deck overlooking the forest and distant city.


Great outfits!


A dragon appeared too. I don't know what the meaning is, but I think generally they are meant to bring prosperity and strength. Kind of strange, considering it looks like it's going to eat someone.


There were even some guys blowing on conches. They sound pretty cool - I've only ever seen people do that in movies before.


Here are my folks in a spot that you've seen before. It was nice to be there with them - I've gotten used to seeing things on my own and not really being able to share the experience except via things like this blog. I quite like going solo, but some things are better shared. It was great having Mum and Dad stay - all up it was over 2 weeks.


Well, by the time we reached Maruyama Park it was dusk, so our first really good look at a decent collection of cherry trees was abit obscured.


This tree is obviously the centre piece. You see it in posters of Kyoto etc. The "grand champion" is a similar, if not the same, type in Fukushima (http://www.sydney.au.emb-japan.go.jp/ if you want to see it). Yes, grand champion! People really go nuts over sakura - there are reports on TV of how open the buds are or whether or not the blossoms are past their prime for each region in the country. The wave starts from the south and heads north. Some people try to travel with it.


Well, from pretty pink flowers to pretty painted girls. Gosh, I'm a creep, aren't I? From the park, we proceeded to Gion - the district where the geisha are to be seen. Photos I've shown previously have been of tourists made up as maiko (apprentices). The following shots are of real geiko and maiko going to appointments amongst the exclusive tea houses of Gion. My shots didn't work - these are actually Dad's. I don't think I know anyone else who can say they've gone "cruising for chicks" with their parents. Now that is creepy.

My friend Noriko-chan tells me that the two ladies in front are geisha, and the one trailing is the maiko - you can tell by the adornments/lack thereof in the hair.

You have to be quick with your camera as they scurry along in their restrictive kimono. I felt low taking shots of these people (like, as if you'd openly snap a stranger in the street), but you are also compelled to. I don't know... I got some fairly contemptuous looks from a one or two...



Anyway... I gotta go to work! Byee

2 Comments:

Blogger Alvina said...

i love your photos Ian. i can't wait till i come visit (which is now looking likely to be Oct this year)

it's good to read about your adventures too :)

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks alvina!

Yeah, come! I'm pretty sure I'll still be here... anyway we'll keep each other posted (^-^)

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home